Chestnut Street Exterior
"View of the exterior, showing the modernistic treatment, which is carried out even unto the sign. Interesting are the architectural lines of the masonry, which get a striking modernistic effect rather simply."
"the ticket seller's booths are of hammered wrought metal with colored glass panels"
- 2-16-29 Exhibitors Herald-World article on the Boyd, p. 71
The Boyd Theatre was built on Chestnut Street to Sansom Street, between 19th and 20th Streets. The 1928 marquee had patterned glass on its underside.
The marquee was replaced in 1953 by a circular marquee to advertise Cinerama, and the ticket booth was also replaced. Boyd was changed in 1971 to Sam Eric. Read about the 1952 photo, and 1953 changes. A signboard to advertise four movies was added in the 1980's, after three additional auditoriums were built on vacant land adjoining the main auditorium and towards 20th Street.
(Click on a thumbnail for a full-size version)